roblox 10th birthday cake

I just got to make a birthday cake for a very cute and on-her-way-to-tweendom 10-year-old... and I realized the last cake I made for her was for her first birthday! Sophia is now into Roblox, although try as I might, I could not figure out how to adapt the particular games she likes into a cute cake. I settled for making her name in fondant in the Roblox font, and her mom was going to buy some fun cake toppers to add. To my mind, this was a perfect opportunity for sprinkles and multi-colored squeezes of frosting galore! It's chocolate cake with vanilla frosting.


To make the letters, I printed out a Roblox font and enlarged it, then cut the white fondant slightly larger as a base. I actually really loved these frosting colors. I frosted the whole cake white (crumb coated it, really) and then did the spackle-and-smooth technique on the sides to apply the color. I kept the top white so the dollops of frosting would stand out.


You can see each squeeze of frosting is a different color depending on which way I was holding the piping bag and where we were in the color distribution. I used a big French star tip and squeezed one dollop with a second, smaller kiss on top.


I bought this sprinkle mixture and I love how it has a mess of different shapes and colors!


OK, tutorial time. Recently, my niece has been enjoying baking. While I was out on a walk recently, she facetimed me to ask how to do rainbow frosting on cupcakes. I talked her through the method below, but then I thought it would be helpful to document with pictures. First, divide vanilla frosting into bowls and tint each one with food coloring. Next, pipe or spoon a stripe of each color frosting next to each other on a large sheet of plastic wrap. If you care what order the colors are going to come out in, make the stripes in the order you prefer. Here, I didn't care. These stripes are about 6-7" long. I wanted a pretty large amount of frosting so I could decorate the cake all in one go. Once you use up all the frosting, you can't just refill; you have to start this process again with a new piece of plastic wrap, so try to judge accordingly. 

Roll the plastic wrap into a log. The different colors will touch, and that's what we're looking for.

Twist the ends tightly like a Tootsie Roll. Then use scissors to snip off one end, close to the frosting.

Drop the whole sausage of frosting into a piping bag, pre-fitted with a piping tip of your choice. The side with the snipped off plastic wrap should be placed down into the piping bag. Then twist the piping bag closed and begin to squeeze. The colors may not all come through evenly at first, but keep applying pressure and they will all get there! Also, the color variance looks nice; it doesn't have to be perfect!

Comments