first birthday ombre cake

Last weekend was my friend Julie's baby girl's first birthday. You may remember Julie from last year when our book club hosted a baby shower for her. Hard to believe a year's gone by so fast!

Knowing her daughter would love any cake, Julie's main request was for her husband. Scott decorated the nursery all in pink and loves to dress their little one in the same girly shades, so Julie asked for a vanilla cake decorated with pink and more pink. She also wanted me to sculpt the baby's favorite push-and-ride car, and I thought it would be cute to add a little fondant girl riding in it.


Here it is all assembled. I wanted it to be simple and sweet and perfect for a first birthday.



I've been dying to do an ombre cake with graduated shades of a single color of cake, frosting, or fondant. There are gorgeous pictures all over the baking blogs. Actually, the Tink cake from a few months ago had graduated shades of green fondant leaves, but I'd still like to explore this trend a little more, so I'll look for another cakexcuse soon. My nod to ombre came in the form of the fondant flowers around the edge of the cake. I started with a deep pink and kept adding white to soften the shade. Though it's hard to tell from the lighting of the photos, the centers of the flowers are the slightest bit pink as well.


Scott and Julie liked the cake, and I hope their little one liked her first taste of sweets, too! Happy first birthday, baby girl!

Print the cake recipe.
Print the frosting recipe.

Comments

mer said…
love this
Saya said…
Too cute! I love the different shades of pinks and the red!