uttara's teacher appreciation cookies

My lovely friend, Uttara, has asked me to make decorated sugar cookies for her school staff three times now! The first time was for Valentine's Day 2022, then again for Valentine's Day 2023, and this past year, for Teacher Appreciation Week. The Valentine's cookies look pretty similar to the ones I did the year before, but I tried something totally new for Teacher Appreciation. She wanted their school colors and for the cookies somehow to say, "Awesome Cienega Staff," but she gave me free rein on how to pull that off. I knew I wouldn't be able to pipe the words small enough without making myself insane, so I went a different route: edible watercolor paint decorated with edible marker! I diluted food coloring with vodka (the alcohol evaporates) and painted abstract designs on each cookie, which I had first topped with royal icing and let dry completely. When they dried, I used edible markers to write the message on each cookie. It was really fun to play around with the designs, and luckily, I had a lot of leeway. The colors were actually gold and turquoise, but they show up a little more greenish in some of these pics.







 And a few of the Valentine's cookies, for good measure:








Comments