fat frosting frogs

Hallie asked me to make a cake for the 17th birthday of one of her besties, Ella. With a mid-February birthday, Ella was probably one of the last ones who hadn't celebrated a COVID birthday yet. Her sweet 16 squeaked in under the wire before quarantine last year. Hallie said Ella had a very specific design request: fat, frosting frogs hanging out on the edge of the cake. To be honest, I don't even remember what flavor the cake was (I think funfetti?); the frogs were the key. It's possible this is a TikTok trend I am too old to know about. But I did a little research, and this is what I ultimately came up with.


It was harder than I thought to make the blobs of frosting as big and round as I would have liked. Ultimately, I used a cookie scoop, and a smaller cookie scoop for their heads! They are silly but fun. They looked lonely, though, so I added a few fondant flying friends. Ella adores bees, so I made a 3-D one and a flat one, and I included a dragonfly and some cute mushrooms and flowers. (Never mind that the real-life equivalent of those mushrooms are deadly poisonous.)

Ella's favorite color is yellow, so I did an ombre tint on the frosting on the sides of the cake culminating in a flower-like swirl on the top that was just barely yellow.




Happy 17th Ella! I can't believe all of you are turning 17... it is just too much!
 

Comments