maya is 16... and then 17! chocolate cake and silly face cookies

Once again, I delayed so long in posting a friend's birthday cake that she has already celebrated her next birthday! Hallie's friend Maya was one of the earliest quarantine birthdays last year. Her sweet 16 was a very low-key celebration at home, so I made her just a small 6" chocolate cake. To dress it up, I melted and piped chocolate hearts and stuck them on the cake.





Maya and her sibling, Aadi, were the original silly face cookie recipients. I have made these cookies for them both a bunch of times. Maya even came over to decorate them with Hallie this past year! And yet, that's what she wanted for her birthday. Silly face cookies. Lots of them. I thought 3 dozen would probably hold her over. Both of my kids gave me ideas for new silly decorations. Brendan suggested 3 eyes, and Hallie said I had to do one that looked like Mike Wazowski from Monsters, Inc. 

As I'm making them, I always feel like I am running out of ideas... but then I finish decorating, I look at them all together, and they are super adorable. Maya enjoyed them. Happy 16th and 17th, MayaNik!





Comments