birthday fun with j and e in southern ca!

My nephew and niece have birthdays within a few weeks of each other. Last year, we had the chance to celebrate them together when they came down for a visit during quarantine. We had a small family celebration. I wanted to make them something fun and colorful, and somehow between my brainstorming and my kids' ideas, this is what we settled on. They recommended the rainbow effect with the frosting, and I opted to add the multi-colored designs on the side. It was cute and fun for people turning 9 and 12, and we all were so happy to celebrate with them! (We also took a humorously un-scenic hike that led to a view of the 405 Freeway, so at least that gives us something giggle about!)

Here's the cake with pictures of each section of the frosting color palette. I like how the frosting is imperfect in terms of smoothness, how it rises to a peak in the center, and how each color blends into the one next to it. The multi-colored section is because I ran out of colors - oops! - guess I should have measured more accurately.









Comments