another unicorn - and a pinata! *

Apparently, Instagram is a powerful, if unintentional, marketing tool... a local Mar Vista mom friend saw my post about Nora's Wonder Woman cake and asked if I could make a pink/purple/teal-colored unicorn cake for her daughter's 8th birthday. (Eight must be the magical unicorn age.) Nicole took it up a step and requested a piñata cake! I made a cutout in the center of the bottom layers - leaving the top layer whole - and filled it with pastel M&Ms and sprinkles of all shapes and textures. The only sadness is that I couldn't see what it looked like when it spilled out. I did learn from history - when I made a piñata cake for Bren's birthday last year, the M&M shells got a little soft after being refrigerated, so I made sure not to refrigerate this cake. Fondant doesn't do well in the fridge anyway, so this was a solid choice, especially given that it wasn't particularly hot out and the cake held up just fine. I really loved how the colors came out!








* I do know how to spell piñata, but it isn't searchable with the tilde, so I am purposely misspelling it!

Comments