marshmallow flower cupcakes

I saw a super cute idea - probably on one of the IG baking videos the kids are always sending me - for using cut marshmallows to make flower-shaped cupcake toppers. You slice up regular marshmallows, leaving the exposed cut sides sticky, and then you press them into colored sugar. Each marshmallow slice becomes a petal.

It's a cinch to color sugar: place a quarter-cup or so of sugar into a sandwich bag, drip in a bit of gel food coloring, and rub the sugar around in the bag until the color is evenly distributed. I chose orange just because it looked summery. I piped orange frosting onto the cupcakes as a base for the flowers and then started laying out the petals in a circle, slightly overlapping. I made an inner, smaller circle, then piped in a dab of orange frosting to hold it all together, and covered that with some sprinkles.

I'm pretty sure the tutorial used mini marshmallows, but I think that would have taken forever. As it was, each marshmallow flower took about 10 slices of marshmallow, which I think equated to about 2.5 marshmallows. A little time-consuming, but quite easy and very fun for a year-end party.

Comments