stuff i haven't posted yet: ronnie's 70th birthday

My aunt is very dear to me. She lives three hours ahead, so I often call her while I'm out walking, and it's always so nice to catch up. We share interests in reading, movies, theater, traveling, and more, and I enjoy hearing about her latest adventures. Last February (yeah, a year ago), she turned 70, and we celebrated with a weekend staycation in LA with my parents, my sister and her family, and my aunt. We visited the Skirball, had a great Italian dinner, and I made her this cake with fondant roses:


Roses like these are really quick to make. You can do them in a lot more detail and roll the fondant paper thin to achieve a more realistic petal thickness, but you can do a quick flower, roll it fairly thin, and still come out with a pretty look. You make a cone-shaped center and about 6-8 round leaves (just use a circle cookie cutter). Then you start by holding the cone and wrapping one circle/leaf around the it. Line the edge of the circle up with the bottom of the cone. The next circle/leaf overlaps it just a bit, and you keep adding the leaves, overlapping with the one you just finished. As you go, you can gently pull the leaves out to make a more open rose, or you can leave them closed for a rosebud (which probably only needs 4-5 petals). At the end, I usually pinch or slice off the bottom of the rose and leave a flat bottom (imagine you just broke the flower straight off the stem), and that works nicely to place on the cake.

Note: those are vanilla seeds in the frosting - they taste great but always look icky. The cake was lemon with lemon curd and vanilla bean frosting, if I'm remembering correctly.

Comments