mmm... bugs!

My sister-in-law, Leah, bought me the cutest gift: a baking sheet that makes mini cakes shaped like bumblebees, ladybugs, and dragonflies. They are about the size of two or three cupcakes, so one mini cake is the perfect size for our family to share for dessert... everyone gets just a few delicious bites.

I was nervous about using these at first. The designs are so intricate, it's critical that the pan is greased really well so the cakes don't stick. Once I discovered cooking spray with flour, it was a no-brainer, and when I found myself with some leftover chocolate cake batter, it was a perfect chance to give the pan a test run.

Are they not the cutest things ever?



Lucky thing my chocolate cake recipe is delicious on its own, because I haven't really figured out the best way to decorate these. You want to preserve all the detail, so frosting isn't a great idea. Even a glaze would probably blur the great lines. Best to just leave 'em unadorned - maybe a light sprinkling of powdered sugar - and enjoy!

Comments