bread. lots and lots of bread.

Have I mentioned how much I love my electric kettle? And after all these years when I thought it was a superfluous appliance. It's certainly not a necessity, but we use it nearly every day, and I just think it is fab.

But that's not what this is about.

This is about bread. Mmm, bread. Pinch My Salt is doing a Bread Baker's Apprentice bread-baking challenge wherein she and her fellow blog/baker participants bake their way through this book, alphabetically, one recipe per week. I've never seen the book, but she speaks highly of it, and the first week's results, Anadama bread, looked delicious.

I'm thinking of trying the challenge. I want to make up my mind soon so I don't get too far behind. If I do start late, I'll probably jump in wherever they are in the alphabet and then go back and do the others at a later date. My reason for not participating is that bread baking is often a serious time commitment. Even challah, which I bake with regularity, takes a good four to four-and-a-half hours. Sure it's not all active time, but I've got to babysit it. Plus, starters take time, and they intimidate me. So I either need to do it on a weekend, start early in the evening, or bake during the day.

Wait, during the day? But I'm at work then. Aha, but not after June 1 (at least, not until someone else hires me). So perhaps, despite my misgivings, this is the perfect time to begin this challenge. It sounds a lot less rigid than other baking challenge groups I've heard about.

I'm pondering. I'll let you know.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Do it!
Sandra Dee said…
Sounds like great timing....
meredith said…
you should definitely do it. and then send all of your leftovers up north. except the ones that have fruit or pits in them, of course...you can keep those...
Can't wait to see the results. And I can't live without my electric kettle! :)