family recipe: chocolate fudge cookies


Much like my esteemed colleague, when I'm stressed - or home alone for an evening or eight - I like to bake. Tonight's episode of The Next Food Network Star was certainly not keeping my attention. And I'm highly suggestible, so when my mom mentioned she had made my Grandma Lorraine's classic Chocolate Fudge Cookies for dessert last night, I immediately checked the pantry for staples. My grandma was a great baker and cook, as well as a terrific entertainer. (Ironically, she also introduced me to Alba 77, as part of some ill-advised, likely unsuccessful, diet plan in the late '70s/early '80s. Let's not hold it against her.)

These couldn't be easier. Literally: melt, stir, drop, bake. I didn't take any pictures because 1) my camera is a continent away, and 2) I didn't actually bake them; I just stirred together the dough to bake tomorrow.

One final note: I reconfirmed that I truly, seriously, hate the taste of Nestle chocolate chips. How could I have not noticed their weird flavor for all those years baking Toll House Cookies? I'm sure I've just gotten used to the taste - and bargain price! - of Trader Joe's chocolate chips, but seriously, the Nestle ones are vile. Luckily, I think the other flavors will mask it.

Chocolate Fudge Cookies

1. Melt together 3 tablespoons margarine and 12 ounces chocolate chips. Remove from heat.
2. Stir in one can condensed milk (condensed, not evaporated).
3. Stir in 1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 cup chopped nuts, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. (Stir! By hand! No mixer!)
4. Drop on a silpat- or parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 350F for about 8 minutes. I like mine really fudgy, so I prefer them just slightly underdone.

Comments

Suzanne said…
These are the best! Your mom gave my mom the recipe a million years ago... I can't tell you how many times I have made these cookies! They never fail and are always gobbled up. I can't let Scotty know where I keep the stash when I bake them!
Anonymous said…
i second suzanne's comments...these are indeed the best!