waffles. mmm...

We had waffles for breakfast today. I think that makes the third time this week! I am still on a quest for the perfect waffle recipe. Though our recipe from growing up was delicious, it had 1/3 cup of oil and 1/3 cup of butter; plus, we used to brush the waffle iron with butter between batches (pre-Teflon) and serve them with butter. I can feel my arteries hardening.

My ideal waffle is light, crisp, and delicate. Most of the recipes I've tried start out that way but end up going soggy after they sit for a few minutes. I've probably tried a half-dozen recipes from all over the place, and they are all very passable (though none as good as the AMAZING waffles we had this summer in Mammoth - oh my god those were good). Of course, they all have the same basic ingredients, with just a little variation in the amounts, so it's hard to tell one from the other without a side-by-side taste test.

Today, we tried the KA recipe, and it was very good! I didn't have buttermilk but substituted milk soured with lemon juice for a few minutes. The leftovers went into the freezer to become homemade Eggos, and they'll be popped in the toaster to crisp up again before eating. Of course, as Josh can tell you, the point of waffles is the maple syrup anyway. With two kinds of syrup to taste, plus fresh blueberries, it was a good start to our Saturday.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have to comment on this, since I make waffles every Saturday. I have a great recipe, however the BEST waffle I have ever eaten is from a box mix. GULP. You know how I hate box mix.


It's not the mix, it's the maker. My brother bought one of those super expensive professional waffle makers - MY GOD, it is fantastic. I've never eaten anything that came out with such crispy perfection every time. It's the maker, baby.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/justjenn/226892076/
Jami said…
Jenn - thanks! 1) will you give me permission to view the picture? and 2) I had no idea the waffle iron could make so much difference!