blueberry oatmeal bars


These are (of course) from the KA cookbook, and they are officially called Summer Berry Crumble Bars. They recommend blueberries and/or raspberries; I happened to have blueberries on hand. They were very easy to make: cut in butter to a flour/sugar/oatmeal mixture to make a crumb layer, reserve a few cups for topping, press into pan, bake. While it's baking, stir together the fruit layer (fresh or frozen fruit, sugar, lemon juice and zest, cinnamon, flour). Spread it evenly over the crust, sprinkle on the reserved crumbs, and bake. Stir up a powdered sugar glaze, drizzle it over the warm bars, cool, and cut. Easy peasy.

I haven't tasted them yet, so I don't have an opinion. Huge props for the gorgeous smell of cinnamon, oats, and brown sugar wafting through my house while they baked! (And since we've had lots of stinky cheese in the fridge over the past couple of weeks, a delicious smell was a nice change!)


ETA: I baked these a day and a half ago, and I just got ready to plate them, but the tops are a little soggy. That's not how an oatmeal/brown sugar streusel top should be. I blame drizzling the glaze when they were still warm. I'm also not sure how I feel about the fresh fruit filling; the look of the bars makes me expect something chewier, and these are pretty crumbly. Then again, maybe it's all in the name (summer berry CRUMBLE), so I will shut up. In any event, so far these just get a thumbs neutral.
I did pop them in the oven for about 5-7 minutes to see if that would crisp them up, so we'll see how that works.

Comments