stuff i haven't posted yet: domi's book of spells

How fun is this? My eldest niece just emailed asking if we can work together on a project she has for school: she has to bake something that looks like a book, and she wants to make a cake together when she visits SoCal next week!

I immediately came here to look at the two book cakes I have done before... and I could only find one! Shockingly, I don't think I ever posted this second cake (which I'm pretty sure is from about 2016). No time like the present! I was trying to remember if I made a full sheet of fondant for the bottom cover of the book or if I just made a tiny edge of fondant. Lazy me thinks it was the latter, but I can't tell from the pics. 

Anyway, this was the second book of spells I made for a young Harry Potter fan's birthday!



I remember really enjoying making the wand, the owl, and creating the look of the pages. I actually just frosted them (not fondant) and used a cake comb with very narrow teeth to make lines for pages. It would definitely work to roll out a long strip of fondant for the three sides where the pages show, and then use a fondant tool to make lines for the pages. You could even brush it lightly with luster dust to antique the pages slightly. 

Comments