stuff i haven't posted yet: h is 15. and sweet 16.

As usual, I'm so far behind in posting that she's now 16. Last year, she and a friend had a shared birthday party that started on 3/31 (her friend's birthday) and was a sleepover into 4/1 (her birthday).


This year, due to COVID-19, there was no birthday party and just a tiny cake for the three of us. Clearly, we are not related since she chose something non-chocolate (the horror!). It's actually a brown butter cake with dulce de leche frosting made from homemade dulce de leche. To be honest, I liked the cake much better last time I made it; this time, it had that sort of cornbread-like texture that I don't prefer. I want cake to be softer, with a finer crumb. This cake was improved by serving it at room temperature, but I would still like to improve upon the recipe to make it appetizing whether room temp or cold.



I thought it would be the perfect time to try the drip cake again with the leftover dulce de leche, but either my dulce de leche was too thin or my cake was not cool enough, because it ran straight down the sides. I have definitely not nailed this (probably overdone but still cute) trend. Oh well. It still tasted good.

Brown butter layer cakehttps://docs.google.com/document/d/1sTuaBV2hsWHiWudErmxwHK0W3dzM2qOlpsQB4CsJxTY/edit
Dulce de leche frosting, including directions on how to make dulce de leche in the ovenhttps://docs.google.com/document/d/17lz5orZXFordhQaj4ZuvKO3BsErKQ6iY8XnkPHzmvZo/edit

Here's hoping her 17th will be pandemic-free and full of friends!

Comments