new baby

A new baby is on the way! This one belongs to the son of my parents' dear friends Marvin and Gayle and his wife. Alex and Meredith are expecting a baby in the next few weeks, and they flew out to CA so the Long Beach crew could shower them and wish them well. They haven't revealed the baby's gender, (or maybe they're going old school and they don't even know?), so I used peach and yellow tones for flowers, and I made little fondant creatures to match the super cute invitation. I was asked to inscribe the cake to match the sweet napkins the hostesses used.

The cake is confetti (vanilla cake with sprinkles), but obviously, I can't show you the inside. I was pleased that the jimmies didn't bleed into the batter, so they made for a nice speckled look.

Mazel tov and welcome, baby!




I used a toothpick on the chilled cake to lightly carve the letters, and then I piped over them. I was too nervous to do it freehand. They came out pretty close!



I had fun trying out a new brush technique (though I actually used spoons and offset spatulas of different sizes and shapes to accomplish the brush look). I thought it was really pretty and I would definitely try it again. I love the giant size of the flowers along the sides of the cake.





Comments