twin sweet 16

One of our favorite babysitters up and did what babysitters everywhere are wont to up and do: she graduated from high school, moved 3000 miles to go to college, and stopped babysitting for us (except when she's in town - whew!). We still love her, though, and when she texted me to ask if I would make not one, but two cakes - one each for her twin siblings' 16th birthday - of course I said yes. Her brother and sister have very different interests, and so I was asked to make Cassy a cake that had something to do with soccer and Bubba a cake that related to one of his favorite video games, Assassin's Creed. Both cakes were the same size, marble cake, with vanilla frosting, but otherwise, they looked pretty different! Gilly was flexible with how I interpreted her themes, and she was super excited to treat her baby brother and sister to separate cakes to celebrate their big day. (We traded cake for babysitting, and I think I may have gotten the better end of that deal! :-)

Here's what I came up with for Bubba: I made a round cake with the Assassin's Creed logo on the top, but instead of the roman numeral for a particular edition of the game, I substituted XVI for 16.


For Cassy, I decided to make the cake a soccer ball. I baked it in a bowl (which takes forever since it's so deep! just keep baking it until it's done and have faith.) and gave it the number 16 even though I think her jersey number is actually 9. Cutting realistic-looking pentagons out of fondant and placing them properly so all the join lines would align was a pretty big challenge. Let's just hope no one tried to drop-kick the thing since it probably wasn't to scale (and it definitely wouldn't bounce).


I used Absolutely the Best Yellow-Chocolate Marble Cake, which suited the twins' tastes. Vanilla frosting complemented it perfectly (I would have preferred chocolate, myself, but I don't think soccer balls usually come in brown).

I was so happy to help Gilly surprise her brother and sister on their big day. I know they had a great celebration. Now I'm just waiting for finals to be over so we can see our favorite sitter again!

Happy birthday, B and C!

Print marble cake recipe.
Print vanilla frosting recipe.

Comments

Laurel Geisbush said…
Your soccer cake turned out awesome!! Nice job. I bet she loved it.