Wednesday, October 31, 2012

ninjago birthday cake

Since I am about two months behind on posting... And since today is Halloween, festival of costumes... And since Boy-o is dressing as a ninja tonight (albeit a generic ninja all dressed in black)... I present... Ninjago cake!



As you can tell, this cake was made for our friend Riley, who was having a Ninjago party for his 6th birthday. All the kiddos are very into Ninjago (Lego ninjas) these days, though I remain relatively unscathed. There's a TV show, and Legos, and Halloween costumes, and all sorts of other tie-ins.

I had lots of freedom with this cake: I was just asked to make it chocolate and Ninjago-themed. Accordingly, the bottom layer is a 12" round chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. I chocolate-dipped some Oreos to evoke the Lego bumps, but not to replicate them exactly. I think they were a pretty good size, proportionally. The Ninjago head is made of a couple of stacked 6" cakes with a bowl cake to round out the top of his head (literally baked it in a small, metal mixing bowl about 6" in diameter). I think it ended up being 8 or 9 inches tall. I stacked and frosted the layers of the head (on a small cake board), covered the whole thing in frosting, and draped blue fondant over it in layers to approximate a ninja headcovering. Riley's favorite character is Jay, and he is the blue ninja. I looked closely at pictures online to try to get the shapes of his eyes, eyebrows, and mouth correct. Then, to add visual interest, I created a gold knife (dagger? sword?) out of gumpaste and anchored it behind his head (as if he had it stashed in his clothing). I emulated the Ninjago font to cut out the letters of Riley's name.

It was a really fun cake to make, and the kids were pretty excited about it, the birthday boy in particular!

Print chocolate cake recipe.
Print chocolate buttermilk frosting recipe.

3 comments:

Fongolicious said...

Oh if only I saw this post 2 weeks ago! I had a 10yr old who also
loves lego! Great job! Will have to consider it next year.

Laurel Geisbush said...

Your Jay cake turned out GREAT! Very nice job, I bet the chocolate dipped Oreos were delicious! I am considering this for my sons party next year but I've never worked with fondant so that part is intimidating.

Jami said...

@Laurel - thanks for the nice comments! Fondant is a little intimidating, but the nice thing about fashioning a turban is that it's very forgiving! (As are kids - they will see Jay and never notice any imperfections with the decorations.) Good luck!