colorful flower garden birthday cake

Our friends' younger daughter turned 5 a few weeks ago. She and my little guy are new kindergarteners together. She celebrated with a couple of dozen friends - all girls - and I was asked to make a vanilla cake with vanilla frosting, filled with strawberries and whipped cream, and decorated with colorful flowers. Beyond that, I had free reign, so I kind of went to town making different shapes and sizes of flowers by mixing a few basic colors.


I laid the flowers out first on a cookie sheet to get an idea of how to arrange them to balance the height, shapes, and colors, and then I transferred them over to the cake. As much as I liked the variety of the flowers, it could be fun to keep it simple next time and stick with one type of flower or a more geometric arrangement.

Here's the garden up close.

Some, like the carnation, followed official (Wilton) techniques, but most I just made up using various cookie cutters or shaping them freehand, like the roses. I particularly like rolling the fondant super thin - so thin you can read through it! - and then thinning out the edges even more with a ball tool. Carnations let you do just that.

See how the flowers are really shiny and shellacked-looking? I painted them with a 50/50 mixture of vodka and corn syrup. The flowers had been drying for a couple of days, so they were firm and easy to paint, but the shiny mixture left them feeling tacky. Next time, I might adjust the proportions to use less corn syrup. I thought the shine gave them a little extra depth and dressed them up. Without it, the flowers looked a little dull and flat. I have heard that rubbing them with a little vodka on a paper towel can give a gentle luster, but a small paintbrush was much easier to use without breaking the delicate petals.


When I got bored of the colors, I started marbling the fondant and creating different color combinations.
 

Hope you enjoyed your flower garden cake, E! Happy birthday!

Print vanilla cake recipe.
Print vanilla buttercream frosting recipe.

Comments

Flowers Toronto said…
Floral Design or floral arts is the art of creating flower arrangements in vases, bowls, baskets or other containers, or making bouquets and compositions from cut flowers, foliages, herbs, ornamental grasses and other plant materials.
http://www.freshflowerscanada.ca/