Thursday, February 11, 2010

valentines for school chums

It's almost Valentine's Day! Even though Josh claims it's a Hallmark holiday (boo!), my family always exchanged valentines, and I think it's fun. The kids love giving valentines to their classmates, and rather than buying character ones from Target, I thought it would be fun to make something inexpensive and cute. I can't remember where I originally saw the idea, but here's the gist:

- buy little boxes of matches. they're about 10 for $1 at most grocery stores
- dump out the matches. save them, and you'll never run out of matches again
- cut small rectangles of wrapping paper, about 2x4"
- fold one around each empty matchbox, and use double-stick tape to secure it invisibly
- fill the boxes with M&Ms. about 10 fit well
- if desired, decorate with tiny stickers or tie with string. once I realized the boxes didn't slide open on their own, I didn't bother with the string. call me lazy.

I chose heart paper, of course, but you could change these up for any season with the right holiday colors (and seasonal M&M's, of course!).
Deliciousness inside!

I just used a tiny piece of double-stick tape to secure the wrapping paper because I planned to cover the seam with a printed sticker (Happy Valentine's Day! Love, Boy-o). Otherwise, just a little more tape should do the trick.

I think they're going to be a hit at school tomorrow! Happy Valentine's Day!

4 comments:

Nanette said...

Those turned out great!!!

Jessica V. said...

So wishing I had done something like this for V-day. The kids valentines were done last night, in crayon, and look really janky. Maybe next year I'll be creative! These are awesome!

Chocolate Shavings said...

Those boxes are adorable!

Suzanne said...

Too cute!!!