valentines for school chums

It's almost Valentine's Day! Even though Josh claims it's a Hallmark holiday (boo!), my family always exchanged valentines, and I think it's fun. The kids love giving valentines to their classmates, and rather than buying character ones from Target, I thought it would be fun to make something inexpensive and cute. I can't remember where I originally saw the idea, but here's the gist:

- buy little boxes of matches. they're about 10 for $1 at most grocery stores
- dump out the matches. save them, and you'll never run out of matches again
- cut small rectangles of wrapping paper, about 2x4"
- fold one around each empty matchbox, and use double-stick tape to secure it invisibly
- fill the boxes with M&Ms. about 10 fit well
- if desired, decorate with tiny stickers or tie with string. once I realized the boxes didn't slide open on their own, I didn't bother with the string. call me lazy.

I chose heart paper, of course, but you could change these up for any season with the right holiday colors (and seasonal M&M's, of course!).
Deliciousness inside!

I just used a tiny piece of double-stick tape to secure the wrapping paper because I planned to cover the seam with a printed sticker (Happy Valentine's Day! Love, Boy-o). Otherwise, just a little more tape should do the trick.

I think they're going to be a hit at school tomorrow! Happy Valentine's Day!

Comments

Nanette said…
Those turned out great!!!
Jessica V. said…
So wishing I had done something like this for V-day. The kids valentines were done last night, in crayon, and look really janky. Maybe next year I'll be creative! These are awesome!