magic cookies: an oldie but a goodie

I had half a can of condensed milk leftover from another baking project, and magic cookies immediately came to mind. We've been making these as long as I can remember. They are chewy, crumbly, sweet, and just a little salty, which I think actually comes from the graham cracker crumbs, though I've never noticed a salty taste in graham crackers. Even Josh, who suffers from a self-proclaimed coconut "allergy," has been known to eat these!



I'm always surprised how different the results are depending on the order in which you layer the ingredients. We always poured on the condensed milk last, but I think it might be nice to try sprinkling the nuts, chips, and coconut on top of the milk next time. I also think they're better just a tad underbaked (though I tend toward underbaking in general, so that's no surprise). These got a little overdone despite that I baked them for only 20 minutes, not 25, and turned down the oven; my lower oven runs a little hot.

These are super easy and would be a great baking project with the kiddos!

Magic Cookies
1 stick butter
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup chopped nuts
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (or a combination of chocolate chips and butterscotch chips, which is what I used)
1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk

Preheat oven to 350F. Place butter in a 9x13 pan, and place the pan in the oven until the butter melts. Remove from the oven. Sprinkle the crumbs evenly over the butter. You may need to spread the crumbs around a bit with a rubber spatula or the back of a spoon to make a nice even layer. Sprinkle the nuts evenly over the crust, then the chocolate chips, and then the coconut. Drizzle the condensed milk evenly over.

Alternatively, make the crust as directed above. Drizzle the condensed milk evenly over the crust, and then sprinkle the nuts, chocolate chips, and coconut evenly over. Press down with a fork to make sure everything adheres to the condensed milk.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until light golden brown and beginning to caramelize. It's pretty easy to overbake these, so keep an eye on them. Cool the bars, cut into squares, and eat!

Comments

Yum - I love all the ingredients in this recipe!

:)
ButterYum
i've always wondered where the ever-so-slight salty flavor came from! these will always be one of my favorites. and, like josh, i don't like coconut..
Sandra Dee said…
I always think of you when I eat these....