not a math major

I learned an interesting blogging lesson just now: if you're going to translate the ingredient amounts into ounces (which I do for my own convenience, as much as anything) get the math right. A week or so ago, I adapted this banana bread recipe into my "Cuban Inspired" banana bread: I used a huge, nearly-black plantain plus one banana and the vanilla bean-infused dregs of my King Arthur vanilla. The problem? I somehow decided that 3 1/4 cups of flour, at 4 1/4 ounces each, equaled 6 3/8 ounces. I don't remotely know where that calculation came from. Suffice it to say, my Cuban banana bread was extremely moist, fairly dense, and almost more like banana cake. I attributed it to the plantain and underbaking, and since I'd been on a carrot cake escapade, the texture didn't really throw me. But tonight, while revising the banana bread recipe once again, I discovered the error. Whoops! Missing out on a cup and three-quarters of flour might also have had something to do with it!

Check back for the latest banana bread variation, coming shortly.

Comments