cheese board cranberry scones



One of the few books I have unpacked is my Cheese Board cookbook. For those who don't know the Cheese Board, it is a center for extreme yumminess in Berkeley. We go there every time we are in town, usually more than once, for bread, baked goods, and, of course, cheese. The only real mystery is: how could I have gone to school there and spent so little time at the Cheese Board?

Most of the recipes in the book, as I think I have mentioned here before, either require ingredients I don't usually have on hand (like buttermilk and cream) or require sourdough starter, which takes 11+ days to make and requires ingredients I've never had on hand (like rye flour). I planned in advance and picked out cranberry scones to try one recent Sunday afternoon. Cranberries are one of my favorite flavors for baking. I love how tart they are, and they are great on their own or paired with orange or lemon.

The recipe claims to make something like a dozen scones, but I also know that their idea of a scone is about the size of my head, so I made mini ones and got about three dozen. Even after eating a bunch and giving some away, we had enough to put a ziploc-ful in the freezer.

They come together quickly and easily, and they turned out beautifully. Perfectly sized to be indulgent, but not so big you would feel guilty eating one. Nice and light, with a good crumb, and not as dry in your mouth as most scones.

Mise en place, totally staged afterward.


Ready to bake.


Ready to eat!

Comments

Sandra Dee said…
I seem to recall eating there with you when I came to visit you @ Berkley junior year.....
Sandra Dee said…
By "there" - I meant "Cheese Board".....
Kim said…
Your photography is awesome, Jami!