muffins for a weekend morning - yum.

My birthday gift from Josh was an awesome, three-volume set of baking books from King Arthur Flour. I like their flour (and it's super cheap at Trader Joe's all the time, as opposed to at the grocery store, when it just goes on sale around the holidays), but I had no idea they made cookbooks. These books are amazing! First of all, there are at least 1000 pages among the three books. One is a general baking companion, one is for cookies, and one is all about whole wheat baking. Fabulous! There aren't as many pictures as I'd like, but there are excellent tips, instructions, and charts, and many of the recipes have line drawings to give you some idea of what to expect.

Because she was leaving for a trip, my mom brought over some blueberries she wasn't going to be able to use. With three new baking books, fresh blueberries, and my sister-in-law and her friend coming over, I had to make some blueberry muffins. I figure since there are so many hundreds of recipes in these books, I should try experiment with some of the basics to see how the books perform.

The picture is horrible (blame my inexperience with Josh's new little camera, and believe me when I say this was the best of the bunch), but the muffins were delish! The blueberries were especially plump, so you get lots of bursts of fruit. I sprinkled some cinnamon sugar on the top, but what I really would've liked is some kind of large-crystal baking sugar. I'll have to get to Surfas soon.


Score one for King Arthur!

Comments

Anonymous said…
As the aforementioned sister-in-law, I feel qualified to vouch for them. They were goo-ood! In fact, I could go for one right now.

Now, if you could just make them a little easier to disassemble so next time my fingers wouldn't turn blue as I tried to give Bug Bug the cake part and Boy-O the blueberries, well, now, that would be impressive.